Sunday, August 12, 2012

Firewood

You know how sometimes you're in the middle of building a house, and you have to stop and chop up some firewood? No? Well, it's a thing that happens.

Thoreau understood:
"Every man looks at his wood-pile with a kind of affection. I love to have mine before my window, and the more chips the better to remind me of my pleasing work. I had an old axe which nobody claimed, with which by spells in winter days, on the sunny side of the house,  I played about the stumps which I had got out of my bean-field. As my driver prophesied when I was ploughing, they warmed me twice,---once while I was splitting them, and again when they were on the fire, so that no fuel could give out more heat." -- Walden, Housewarming

And Charles Bronson understood:













From The Magnificent Seven

And now I, too, understand.

















Yes, that is a miniature wood pile, all neatly split, and that is a chisel in the process of splitting a 'log' and a hammer for use with the chisel.

It's normal, I swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment